John has produced stellar communications for leading global and national organizations, from speeches, press releases and annual reports to employee communications, media statements and crisis communications. He’s advised CEOs and senior executives on a host of critical issues ranging from healthcare reform and environmental standards to national energy policy and public health.
John has earned a reputation with national and local media as a highly credible and responsive spokesman. His abillity to create innovative community relations programs designed to produce tangible results, not just publicity, has built bridges among various communities. He's engaged wide audiences as a newspaper reporter and columnist.
Among his career highlights are:
- Leading the Aetna team that created the innovative “Eye on DUI” anti-drunk driving program working in concert with Mothers Against Drunk Driving (M.A.D.D) and more than 100 municipal and state police departments to install video cameras in patrol cars. The program was recognized with the highest honor of the Public Relations Society of America, the Best of Silver Anvil Award;
- Developing the crisis communications plan for Gulf Oil, which served the company well in dealing with a criminal extortion plot to bomb a chemical facility in Texas;
- Representing the National Wildlife Federation in a 1975 meeting with Vice President Nelson Rockefeller to discuss federal water quality standards.
- As a newspaper reporter for the Harrisburg Patriot-News, breaking a front-page expose on corruption in the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation regarding a planned highway through the state’s prime dairy farms;
He is a graduate of Princeton University and a published author. He is a member of The American Legion, The National Rifle Association and The John Maclean Society of Princeton University. He served on the Executive Committee of the Princeton University Alumni Council and the Board of Directors of the Harvard-Yale-Princeton Club of Pittsburgh. He’s active on the Board of Directors of COPEwithDOPE.org. His latest book is an intriguing Cold War history, Betrayal at Bethesda: The Intertwined Fates of James Forrestal, Joseph McCarthy and John F. Kennedy, just published in September 2017, and available in paperback and Kindle versions on Amazon.com
Among the leading organizations John has helped over the years are:
- American Petroleum Institute
- Choice Hotels
- CSX Corporation
- Dow Chemical
- Du Pont
- Gulf Oil
- National Wildlife Federation
- Nucor Steel
- Piedmont Natural Gas
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- Promus Hotels
- Southern Energy
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Vermont American Tool Company